Job Category: Administrative
Division & Section: Legal Services, Legal Prosecutions
Work Location: Old City Hall, 60 Queen Street West
Job Type & Duration: Full-time Permanent, Full Time
Salary: $61,243.00 – $71,944.60
Shift Information: Monday to Friday, 35 hours per week
Number of Positions Open: 1
Posting Period: 16-Dec-2019 to 06-Jan-2020
- Provides executive level administrative, secretarial and program related functions to support the Director of Prosecutions and the Legal Services Division.
- Performs varied administrative duties and clerical functions in connection with the operation of an organizational unit.
- May provide work direction and training to assigned staff.
- Exercises caution and discretion with respect to labour relations, personnel and other confidential information. Prepares correspondence including that of a confidential nature, such as disciplinary letters.
- Handles scheduling of appointments, facilities and ensures that the appropriate information is provided.
- Conducts background research, investigations and retrieves information on various issues.
- Screens, reviews and prioritizes incoming mail, processes and directs correspondence, and initiates response.
- Ensures that the tracking and following up of requests is maintained and deadlines are met.
- Assists with monitoring and controlling the workflow of the unit, ensuring adherence to relevant policies.
- Liaises with and exchanges information with all levels of staff, elected officials and the public.
- Prepares and processes various documents/statistical summaries/reports requiring the assessment and analysis of data. Drafts correspondence, composes and types letters and memoranda and routes or answers correspondence.
- Checks work for formatting and accuracy and conformity with regulations, policies and procedures and corrects/resolves outstanding/incorrect items prior to signature.
- Operates various office equipment and computers utilizing a variety of desktop applications and corporate systems. Prepares presentation material utilizing detailed layout and formatting.
- Coordinates and maintains office record/retrieval systems. Maintains supplies and inventories.
- Responds to and/or refers enquiries and complaints both telephone and written, from senior staff, the public, agencies, and other levels of government utilizing in-depth knowledge of procedures, regulations, criteria, etc. and records detailed messages.
- Prepares legal forms and legal documents.
- Ensures that legal and administrative deadlines are diarized and brought to the attention of the appropriate Solicitor/Director in a timely manner.
- Coordinates meetings, events and schedules. Takes/transcribes minutes as required.
- Maintains continuous awareness of departmental administrative systems and procedures, organization structures in the division, and major corporate/divisional activities in order to provide effective administrative assistance.
- Prepares, formats and organizes Agency/Board/Committee/Council materials and reports (including confidential matters), background, Briefing Notes. Formats Committee/Council reports prior to signature.
- Considerable experience in the performance of legal secretarial and administrative support duties at a senior level, handling a broad range of administrative matters, standard office practices and procedures, which must relate specifically to the actual duties of the position.
- Considerable experience in the preparation and drafting of legal documents, standard correspondence and reports, editing the layout and formatting complex reports, correspondence, charts, tables and reports to Council and Committees.
- Extensive experience with a variety of software packages including Microsoft Office Suite as well as Email applications (such as Outlook and/or GroupWise).
- Considerable experience planning and organizing meetings, conferences and special events with all levels of staff, elected officials, other levels of government and the public.
- Ability to use initiative and exercise interpersonal skills and judgement in daily work.
- Experience working with confidential materials/information for senior management, and ability to exercise independent judgment and discretion in dealing with highly confidential operational matters and with management staff.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including attention to detail, with the ability to set priorities, meet deadlines and deal with conflicting priorities in a high volume, high stress environment.
- Highly developed customer service and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing at all organizational levels, including the political level, members of the public and external agencies.
- Knowledge of municipal operations that may include but is not limited to council proceedings, corporate protocols, established Committees functions; both internal and special interest groups and current political issues.
- Ability to research and gather information.
- Ability to work independently and effectively with minimal supervision and prioritize work schedule
- Must be resourceful, flexible, adaptable, and possess a high degree of common sense and initiative.
- Must be flexible to work long hours in peak periods and be able to work flexible hours, including weekends and evenings as required.
- Combination of education and/or experience in relation to Provincial Offences Act matters is an asset
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request.